Tuesday 14 October 2014

Skincare Favourites: CeraVe Facial Moisturising Lotion PM

Obsessing about skincare is somewhat of a hobby of mine these days, so I thought I’d share some of my skincare faves (and possibly some not-so-faves) on the blog. First up is CeraVe Facial Moisturising Lotion PM - I’ve been using this moisturiser since July, after reading about it on Beautypedia, and it now has a well-earned a place in my daily regimen.

CeraVe Facial Moisturising Lotion PM is a facial 'lotion' (is it just me that always thinks of 'lotions' as a body thing, not a face thing?) containing a host of ostensibly beneficial ingredients – Niacinamide, Ceramides, Hyaluronic Acid – and is free of potential irritants, like fragrance.

Disclaimer: Although this is marketed as a nigh time product, I actually use this lotion on my face in the day instead. I have always preferred to use a separate SPF product, rather than a moisturiser with SPF so the lack of SPF in this lotion isn’t a problem for me. I used to use this at night too, but I now have a retinol night cream to use instead (now I'm 30 it's time to start fighting those wrinkles!).

The lotion itself has a very light texture and is somewhere between a gel and a cream. It’s a slightly translucent white colour and really has no discernable smell. It comes in a neat little pump bottle, which is a bit ‘medical’ looking, and not necessarily one to keep out on the dressing table, but personally, although I do like pretty packaging, it’s not the be-all and end-all for me. The pump is small enough to easily be operated with one hand and it also locks in place for travelling, so one less thing to worry about leaking everywhere (so speaks the woman who lost half a bottle of expensive toner on a flight recently).

On application it feels cool and goes on smoothly, spreading well with a nice fluid motion. It sinks in quickly, but without disappearing – personally I like a moisturiser to give my skin a nice dewy feel and I find this does that, without leaving my skin too tacky. I am always a bit over-liberal with moisturiser so I use about three pumps of this to cover my face/neck (and sometimes go in with a second application just because), but I think someone who doesn’t over-use like me could easily get away with two pumps to cover the face and neck.

This moisturiser seems very gentle and has never irritated my skin at all, it makes my skin feel instantly plump and hydrated and that feeling lasts well throughout the day. I haven’t had any issues with pilling when using this moisturiser and my SPF or foundation always seems to sit well on top of this. I find this is a very light-yet-hydrating product and gentle enough to use around my eyes without problems.

For reference my skin is slightly combination, but leaning more to the dry side (I get a bit of oiliness in the t-zone) and definitely dehydrated and often feels tight after washing if I’m not careful with my choice of cleanser. I have struggled for years, finding that often moisturisers don’t help with any signs and symptoms of the dehydration in particular, but this does wonders and feels like a drink for my skin. Also, despite being on the dry side I am still prone to breakouts and haven't had any unusual issues since using this lotion.

Cost-wise this isn’t an overly expensive product, in my opinion at least – it’s not available to buy in the shops in the UK – I get it from Amazon and pay around £13 for a 3oz (~85ml) bottle. A bottle normally lasts me at least a couple of months, even though I slap it on with gay-abandon. I went to the US recently, where you can pick up CeraVe products from almost every chemist, so I stocked up on multiple bottles (it’s cheaper, more like £10 in the US) while I was there.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone. You can read more about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment